To arrange insurance cover Lesson Moore Limited (LML) and other participants in the insurance industry collect, use and share personal data.
In the process of arranging or potentially arranging insurance over an extended period of the insurance life-cycle we will receive personal data relating to policyholders, their family members and employees and their family members in the case of group (company) policies.
Who are we?
Lesson Moore Limited of Unit 3E, St Peters Business Park, Cobblers Way, Radstock, Bath and North East Somerset, BA3 3BX is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, registration number 707130.
Lesson Moore Limited is registered on the Information Commissioner’s Office Register of Data Controllers, number ZA155977.
How we collect personal information?
We collect personal information directly from you, from your employer and from other third parties like insurers.
We collect personal information by phone (calls maybe recorded for quality and compliance purposes), by email, by post, via our website, from completed application forms or face to face.
We may also collect information about you from your employer (if you are part of company policy), from members of your close family (if you are part of a family policy) or from a third party that you have given permission to refer your details to us for marketing purposes.
What personal information do we collect?
We collect standard personal information and special information about your health, claims history and lifestyle.
Standard Personal Information:
- Contact information like name, address, telephone numbers, email addresses.
- Age, date of birth.
- Occupation and employer.
- Record of communications that we have with you during your relationship with us.
- Health information relating to physical and mental health.
- Past claims including treatments received and pending.
- Lifestyle choices e.g. smoking choices.
The disclosure of your Personal Information.
If you ask us to arrange insurance for you, we will share your information with the insurance company to arrange insurance cover.
We will also share personal information with insurers to generate comparative quotations for insurance.
In the event of you requesting us to assist you with a claim, with your permission, we may disclose health information with your insurer’s claims department.
We may share your information with the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Financial Conduct Authority or to our legal representative in order to resolve your query in the event of a complaint.
Our legitimate interest in collection your Personal Data.
Lesson Moore Limited has a legitimate interest in using your personal information for the following purposes;
- To provide the services that you have requested from us.
- At your request to complete preliminary investigations to assess if our services would be beneficial to you before entering into a contract.
- To act as an independent intermediary, on your behalf, to advise and arrange a contract of insurance for you with the selected insurer.
- To comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Storing your personal information.
Lesson Moore Limited will store your information on a cloud-based CRM and File Storage system. We have in place systems to protect unauthorised access to your information and use outside IT consultants to advise on these protections. We store no paper records.
We will store information relating to potential applications for insurance, actual applications for insurance, email communications, notes about telephone conversations, scanned copies of letters and insurance documents, files of certain (but not all) telephone recordings, quotes from insurers, copies of insurance certificates.
International Transfers of Data.
Where data is transferred outside of the EEA using cloud storage solutions we ensure that a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by confirming at least one of the following safeguards is in place.
- Personal data will only be transferred to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission.
- Personal data will only be transferred to countries where specific contracts approved by the European Commission give personal data the same protection it has in Europe.
- Where providers are based in the US, data will only be transferred to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between the Europe and the US.
How long will we keep your data?
Whilst you or your employer are clients of Lesson Moore Limited we will continue to keep your personal data.
If you or your employer are no longer using our services, we will keep your data for a further 6 years. The reason that we’ll continue to store your data is that it could be useful to support the legitimacy of historic advice that we’ve given to you, your employer or to aid you with your continuing insurance life-cycle.
You have the following rights;
- The right to request a copy of your personal information.
- The right to have inaccurate information about you corrected or removed.
- The right to have certain personal information about you erased.
- The right to request that your personal information is only used for restricted purposes
- The right to object to processing of your personal information in cases where our processing is based on the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or we have let you know the processing is necessary for our or a third party’s legitimate interest.
- The right to ask for your personal information to be transferred to you or a third party.
- The right to withdraw any consent you have previously given us to handle your personal information.